Joseph Jean Baptist Laurent Arban (28 February 1825 – 9 April 1889) was a cornetist, conductor, pedagogue and the first famed virtuoso of the cornet à piston or valved cornet.
He was influenced by Niccolò Paganini’s virtuosic technique on the violin and in an (arguably successful) attempt to “prove” the cornet as a true solo instrument, developed extreme virtuosic technique on the instrument.
Born in Lyon, France, he studied trumpet with Francois Dauverné at the Paris Conservatoire from 1841 to 1845. He was appointed professor of saxhorn at the École Militaire in 1857, and became professor of cornet at the Paris Conservatoire in 1869, where Merri Franquin was among his students. He published his Grande méthode complète pour cornet à pistons et de saxhorn in Paris in 1864. This method, which is often referred to as the “Trumpeter’s Bible,” is still studied by modern brass players. His variations on The Carnival of Venice remains one of the great showpieces for cornet soloists today.
Arban apparently made a phonograph cylinder recording for the Edison Company shortly before his death. In a newspaper from Finland, Helsinki’s Hufvudstadsbladet, (no. 96, from 11.4.1890, page 2), Arban’s recording is mentioned:
Among the phonograms a particular one must be mentioned: solo on cornet a piston, played by the famous French virtuoso monsieur Arban called “Fanfare d’Edison;”
Arban died in Paris on April 9, 1889.
In this project you will find the cornet/trumpet concertos of J.B. Arban. Next to the 12 famous concertos, which you will find in the back of the Arban Method, he also wrote another 20 (or so) great concertos. I edited them for cornet/trumpet & piano and made also a recording of the piano part so you can play along with it. You’ll find most concertos in my webshop and some are free downloadable (scroll down).
N.B. you’ll find them in my webshop on the Arban page.
- La Traviata
- La Cenerentola
- Souvenir de Kroll
- Premier Solo
- Le Cornet Polka
- Polka des Financiers
- Deuxième Fantasie Brilliante
- Carnival of Venice (origineel)
- Carnival of Venice (gespeeld door Maurice André)
- Carnival of Venice (gespeeld door Al Hirt)
- Carnival of Venice (gespeeld door Harry James)
- Sur L’opera Il Crociato de Meyerbeer
- Casino Polka
- Cavatine et Variations sur Nabucco
- Fantasia sulla Carmen di Bizet
The complete collection of the 12 famous cornet concertos written by J.B. Arban. In this book (367 pages) you will find the cornet & piano parts and the scores. Check my webshop if you’re interested.
- Fantaisie and Variations on a Cavatina from “Beatrice”
- Fantaisie and Variations on Acteon
- Fantaisie Brillante
- Variations on a Tyrolean Song
- Variations on a song “The Beautiful Snow”
- Cavatina and Variations
- Air Varié on a Folk Song
- Caprice and Variations
- Fantaisie and Variations on a German Theme
- Variations on a theme by Weber
- Fantaisie and Variations on “The Carnival of Venice”
- Variations on a theme from “Norma”
Free Sheet Music
in 3 keys:
A playalong of “Carnival of Venice” as played by Harry James in 1941: